It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bjork - Biophilia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:39 am 

What does everyone think of the new Bjork album biophilia? I quite like Bjork, but I have to say it's left me quite underwhelmed. She has to be admired for the effort, but the songs are far too long and tedious. And the fact that the album's going to be ''the worlds first app album" just leaves me cold. I Think Bjork is trying far too hard to be trendy, and to prove her relevance(not that she needs to).

Post subject: Re: Bjork - Biophilia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:55 pm 

I Listen all the new album here:
http://www.circulomixup.com/noticias/es ... -de-bjork/

:razz:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:02 pm 

I don't think 'trendy' is the right word for it. Björk is always trying out new and innovative things. Sure, some of them fall flat at times, but one can't help but admire her for it.

I mean, have you seen her website? My god. Color me damn impressed. Damn impressed I say!

Also, I have not downloaded any of the apps, but I hear they are quite spectacular. Are any other artists doing this as well? Don't get me wrong, I hope music doesn't follow in this direction, but it's pretty cool to make it interactive between the listener and visuals.

As for the music, I haven't had the time to properly listen to the album, but there are a few tracks I've heard so far that blew me away.

Mutual Core - instant love

Virus - gorgeous

Crystalline - that kick ass ending. My god.

Don't even get me started on her packaging for this album. That woman gets art direction.

I really hope she does a residency here in Los Angeles for this album, because I'd die to see such a show put on by her. Her shows never disappoint.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:12 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
I don't think 'trendy' is the right word for it. Björk is always trying out new and innovative things. Sure, some of them fall flat at times, but one can't help but admire her for it.

I mean, have you seen her website? My god. Color me damn impressed. Damn impressed I say!

Also, I have not downloaded any of the apps, but I hear they are quite spectacular. Are any other artists doing this as well? Don't get me wrong, I hope music doesn't follow in this direction, but it's pretty cool to make it interactive between the listener and visuals.

As for the music, I haven't had the time to properly listen to the album, but there are a few tracks I've heard so far that blew me away.

Mutual Core - instant love

Virus - gorgeous

Crystalline - that kick ass ending. My god.

Don't even get me started on her packaging for this album. That woman gets art direction.

I really hope she does a residency here in Los Angeles for this album, because I'd die to see such a show put on by her. Her shows never disappoint.

Sure she's always trying out new things. But doing "the world's first app album" - sorry, technology is slowly ruining humanity, the idea just leaves me cold. Having Timbaland as one of the producers on her last album! Creating new instruments. Like I said, she sure has to be admired for her effort...but the effort has become too extreme IMO. And not in a good way either. So yeah, I actually do think "trendy" or "uber hip" is the right description she's aiming for this time. Like I said, I really do like her, a lot of her work does impress. I'm not going to kiss ass just because of the name though. And especially because put plain and simple - at least half of Biophilia is a snoozefest!

Sacrifice and Thunderbolt are good though, Virus does have it's moments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:22 am 

One thing I'll give her, the album is extremely creepy in some places, really raises the hairs on the back of your neck! (hollow, Dark Matter, Solstice and sacrifice). The instrumentation is wonderful. I want to like this album as it is sooo imaginative, and her lyrics are absolutely wonderful, she has heart! But, it is such a tedious listen. The album would be much better if the songs were about 2 minutes shorter than they are. The songs are too slow-paced to warrant the time given to them. The beats are so disjointed to the songs, they just don't work in my opinion. I know that is usually part of the appeal, but something is lacking here.

Like I said, I really do like Bjork, own all her albums. Liked Medulla, and you know what? Volta isn't even that bad "declare independance" and "earth intruders" absolutely kick ass. As does much of the album.

Another song that is great off this album(biophilia) - Nattura

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 pm 

"Crystalline" live on Jools Holland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQYRx7FaBUc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 am 

It''ll end up being my 2nd favourite album this year I think, has really grown on me. The live show is definately my favourite from this year though, very theatrical and colourful performance and the choir really makes for a powerful live sound. Looks as though she'll be globetrotting with it next year, lots of festival dates announced already (I put an AUD of the Bestival show up on Dime just yesterday)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:50 am 

Thunderbolt from Jools Holland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB3anfKdk1Q

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:58 am 

Cosmogony too :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duk37-OI ... re=related

I've listened to it just once, and it didn't leave a great impression on me.
I'll just see if it grows on me with time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

I love the new album, her best since Vespertine in my opinion. I'm not in this app age yet so I couldn't care less about the whole gimmick. Virus, Crystalline, Hollow, Mutual Core... after the disappointment of Volta this is all I needed from her.

Find us at
Twitter
MySpace
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:35 am 

it is my second fave album of bjork next to vespertine, and that says a lot!