It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm 
Moammar Gadhafi's forces have opened fire on mourners at the funeral for anti-government protesters in the city of Benghazi, where a doctor says at least 200 people have already been slain in days of demonstrations.

A man shot in the leg Sunday said marchers were bearing coffins to a cemetery when they passed a Gadhafi compound in Libya's second-largest city. The man said security forces fired in the air and then opened up on the crowd.

A hospital official says four people have been wounded, two seriously.

The doctor in Benghazi, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he fears reprisal, said his hospital is out of supplies and cannot treat more than 70 wounded who were hit in the attacks and need attention.

"I am crying," the doctor said. "Why is the world not listening?"

Witnesses told The Associated Press a mixture of special commandos, foreign mercenaries and Gadhafi loyalists went after demonstrators on Saturday with knives, assault rifles and heavy-calibre weapons.

The violence followed days of protests in Benghazi, a focal point of the uprising aimed at toppling Gadhafi after more than 40 years of rule.
Gadhafi forces target funerals

Libyan security forces killed at least 15 mourners and injured dozens of others at a Saturday funeral, according to hospital officials.

New York-based Human Rights Watch previously reported that Libyan security forces killed 84 people in a harsh crackdown on three days of protests.

Internet service was also cut off in Libya in the early hours of the morning on Saturday, according to the U.S.-based Arbor Networks security company, which detected a total cessation of online traffic in the North African country just after 2 a.m. local time.

Getting concrete details about the protests in Libya has been difficult because journalists cannot work freely inside the country. Information about the uprising has come through telephone interviews, along with videos and messages posted online, and through opposition activists in exile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:49 pm 

Robert Fisk:

'Gaddafi is so odd, his Green Book theories – dispatched by Benghazi demonstrators last week when they pulled down a concrete version of this particular volume – so preposterous, his rule so cruel (and he's been running the place for 42 years) that he is an Ozymandias waiting to fall. His flirtation with Berlusconi – worse still, his cloying love affair with Tony Blair whose foreign secretary, Jack Straw, praised the Libyan lunatic's "statesmanship" – was never going to save him. Bedecked with more medals than General Eisenhower, desperate for a doctor to face-lift his sagging jowls, this wretched man is threatening "terrible" punishment against his own people for challenging his rule. Two things to remember about Libya: like Yemen, it's a tribal land; and when it turned against its Italian fascist overlords, it began a savage war of liberation whose brave leaders faced the hangman's noose with unbelievable courage. Just because Gaddafi is a nutter does not mean his people are fools.

So it's a sea-change in the Middle East's political, social, cultural world. It will create many tragedies, raise many hopes and shed far too much blood. Better perhaps to ignore all the analysts and the "think tanks" whose silly "experts" dominate the satellite channels. If Czechs could have their freedom, why not the Egyptians? If dictators can be overthrown in Europe – first the fascists, then the Communists – why not in the great Arab Muslim world? And – just for a moment – keep religion out of this.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 20134.html

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:58 am 

hope they bring him down . sick of all these dictators keeping us all down
they threatened to call out the National Guard in Wisconsin last week because the fascist governor is imposting austerity

how dare people oppose fascism right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:03 pm 

revenire wrote:
hope they bring him down . sick of all these dictators keeping us all down
they threatened to call out the National Guard in Wisconsin last week because the fascist governor is imposting austerity

how dare people oppose fascism right?

Here's a coincidence, revenire: Just last night I found this photo of Muhammad Nusair, an engineering student, in Tahrir Square, Cairo. Thanks to the always excellent mondoweiss site for this:

Here are his comments on his blog:

From Tahrir to Wisconsin

Posted: February 19, 2011

by Politirature in Uncategorized

Dear activists, protesters & workers from Wisconsin, Ohio and other states,

I was truly touched by your hundreds of thoughts and comments on my photos from Tahrir holding that sign. I thank each and everyone of you, even those who thought the photos were shopped, but I have few things to say.

I’m an Egyptian ordinary young man, activist and Engineering student. I turned 21 years old last December, I love to read and write using both Arabic and English (although my English is kind of weak). and like other thousands, or even millions of Egyptians, I was very busy since Jan25 with our revolution in Tahrir square and all Egypt. we spent very hard days in that square waiting for death to come anytime from air or ground. anyway, what happened in Tahrir is not our subject now, everyone knows what happened there. the point is that I was too busy to know full details of what’s going on in other parts of the world. I knew that people protested in Wisconsin for their rights but didn’t know more details till Thursday, the 17th of February and it was by luck through a wall post of an American friend on Facebook, then I immediately began to search it and read more, then I decided to show support! decided to make the sign and take it with me to Tahrir next morning (Friday).

Many people thought it’s something extraordinary or something that stands out. but I really want to say that me, and many other people, were raised this way. were taught that all human beings are brothers and sisters, were taught that we live in ONE world and under the same sky, so I don’t see what I did as something “abnormal” or “super cool”.

again, as I told many of you, we are all human beings. we shouldn’t let borders and differences separate us, we were made different to complete each other, to integrate and live together. If a human being doesn’t feel the pain of his fellow human beings then everything man created and established since the very beginning of his existence is in great danger.

Ah, one more thing !

some people sent me messages and posted comments saying that the photos are fake or that I’m not Egyptian because of my skin tone and hair color. they said I’m an Irish with red hair doing leftist propaganda (My hair is not red at all) LOL I think you should visit Egypt to see how Egyptians look like ! we have the blonde Egyptian, the tanned Egyptian, the black Egyptian and the Albino Egyptian. Egypt is the link between three continents, so that’s why !! I’m 100% Egyptian and actually never been to any place outside Egypt. and here are some of my personal photos which prove that my hair is not red hahaha...

http://politirature.wordpress.com/2011/ ... wisconsin/

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:37 pm 

that's amazing!
thank you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 am 

This is really disgusting. There's over 500 dead already, children are being massacred and women are being raped. Obviously, the UN is taking its sweet time. It's really sickening if you watch the videos and look at the pics, people are literally getting blown up into pieces. You know what's even more sick, the dumbfuck people I've heard/read over here talking about gas prices going up and not giving a fuck about the genocide. This world is fucked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:48 am 

They're using .50 BMG cartridges on people

Barbaric.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:18 pm 

Just found this photo. This 'made my day'.
Thanks to mondoweiss, yet again:

http://mondoweiss.net/2011/03/more-town ... more-37462

Mark Steel