It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Meet the Gardeners
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 am 

Hi everyone-

I'm Molly. I grew up listening to PJ, then kind of fell away from good music sadly.. but found my way back. Anyway, recently my friend named her baby Molly Jean (isn't that the most perfect name?!), which reminded me to listen to PJ again, and I just fell in love with her music all over again. Let England Shake is just... AMAZING. So beautiful and evocative. I can't get enough of it. I haven't felt that affected or moved by an album in a long time. I've also been revisiting the rest of her catalogue! I remembered that my favorite song in 6th grade was "Big Exit." I would go around my Middle School singing "this world's crazy, give me the gun!" (yeah apparently i was a morbid kid!).

I'm also a singer/songwriter. I mostly write alt-country/ folky / rootsy stuff (in addition to PJ Harvey my parents raised me on Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Old 97s, Neko Case, etc.). I play the acoustic guitar and sing, though I also play the piano and some other instruments. I'm SO excited, and you guys will like this.. I got inspired by PJ to buy an autoharp. I looked all over town and found one at a pawn shop for 30 bucks that the guy said was a piece of junk. I was so excited. I don't know if you guys know what model she has or anything (music nerds?) but from pictures the one I found looks very similar to hers. And when I tuned it and changed the strings it sounds GORGEOUS. I am learning how to play it and I am in love with it. So thank you Polly!

Anyway, if you guys are curious what my music sounds like, though it's alt-country and folky I'll warn you, not very electric, I have some originals up at http://www.soundcloud.com/molly-trull

AND I covered "White Chalk." : http://soundcloud.com/molly-trull/white ... ey-cover-1 I'm not too happy with it though :/ I'd like to cover more of her songs eventually!

I'm really looking forward to being a part of your community and meeting you guys :) I love it here so far. I loved being on the Rilo Kiley forums when I was a teenager (I'm 21 now), and music is a huge part of my life, sooo..

xoxo Molly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:32 pm 

Welcome to The Garden, Molly. Thanks for the links.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:23 am 

Hi Molly
Guess Polly will make you enjoy singing surprisingly gloomy stuff...
- looking forward to checking out those links
ttyl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:57 am 

hi molly
welcome
going to give your stuff a listen
nice meeting you
best

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:32 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
hi, hi Molly, welcome aboard :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:13 am 

Hi there.

Chris/Sweden/26y

And now for my PJ story :smile: It wasn't until 2004 when I went to the Hultsfred Festival in Sweden that I "discovered" her. I'd heard the odd track here and there over the years but never got around to pick up a record. The reason I went to Hultsfred was to see the Pixies. I wanted to be up front in the pit so I got to the main stage many hours ahead of the show and had to sit through some other acts. One being PJ Harvey. She really got my attention and I was thoroughly impressed. Safe to say I made sure to pick up an album when I got home after the festival. I have yet to regret that decision. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome! I rarely get hooked on a new artist after a live show, but when it happens... :)

Post subject: General theme
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:28 am 

Hello!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Greetings!

I moved your post here, where everyone can find it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:36 pm 

Hello!

My name is Klara, I'm sixteen years old, from Sweden and I've been listening to PJ in 3 years. Sau wrote to me on youtube after seing me commenting every new clip on her, and introduced me to the forum. I study at a music school, playing the electric guitar and writing my own songs. I'm very much a scary die hard-fan who Polly probably wouldn't appreciate herself. I've read everything that have been written about her, seen all the photos and videos you can ever see, and listened to everything she's ever done. Polly is very much my life, I'm totally obsessed. Other things I do apart from Polly-activities is boxing, being politically active in the syndicalists youth organisation, work at a culture café, and as I said before playing the guitar. When I don't listen to PJ I listen to Radiohed, Portishead, Blonde redhead, Nick Cave, Rowland S. Howard, einsturzende neubauten, Joy Division, The Doord and Hendrix. I'm very glad I found this place to discuss her music with other fans, my other friends are certainly bored of my Polly-talk. As you can see I'm not that good in english, but that is not so important... ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 pm 

My birthday is the 28 may by the way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:58 pm 

Hello Klara, welcome to the Forum. ;-)

No Pasaran!

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:14 am 

Hey, I'm Zanny (f), 32, from Oregon (near Portland). Birthday's March 26, 1979.

Been a fan for slightly less than a decade now, I think, after seeing the video for Good Fortune in either 2001 or 2002. (I probably had heard Down By The Water in the '90s, when I was a teenager, but I didn't care for/really pay attention to that song at that time, and didn't know who it was by. So I count GF as the "first" PJ song I heard) I bought Stories... after hearing a few more tracks from it and, while I've heard it's not all that well received by PJ fans who were familiar with her earlier stuff (although don't quote me on that), I loved it and still do (except Horses In My Dreams... that one's just too slow for me. I always skip it...). Being intrigued I bought To Bring You My Love a few weeks or months later, and, to make a long story short, basically became obsessed with it, playing it at least twice, sometimes three times a day, every day, for about a three-month-straight period. It's still one of my top ten favorite CDs, probably in the top five somewhere actually. Anyway, for a long while those were actually the only PJ CDs I owned--I'm a bad fan, I know. I kept planning on buying Rid Of Me but kept procrastinating it. But I digress somewhat. A few months back I was in my favorite music store and asked the clerk if she had any recommendations. I listed my top five favorite bands and she asked if I liked PJ Harvey, and I said "I love PJ Harvey." She asked if I had her new CD and I said no, so she gave me Let England Shake to listen to on their CD player preview thingy. At first when I listened to it I thought "this is kind of weird actually, not sure if I like this" (mostly because of the trumpet part in This Glorious Land.) so I didn't buy it that day. However, during the following weeks I heard some tracks from it and they really started to grow on me, so I bought the album the next time I was in the music store, about a month or so later, and I ended up really liking the album after all, and I think I like it more each time I listen to it. Anyway, basically the last few days I've been watching a lot of her older videos on YouTube and I finally got around to ordering Rid Of Me off Amazon a couple of days ago, and I'm planning on getting Is This Desire? next time I go to my other favorite music store (since I'm going to be in that area anyway next time I go downtown).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:20 am 

Hello! I'm Constantine, 24, from Moscow, Russia. My birthday is April 23, 1987 (April, April!...))))
I really enjoy this forum and hope to find here new friends!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:56 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
Hi Constantine, Zanny, KivaPn, tokvev, SaligHund and any new comer not mentioned.........you've joined a good place full of nice folk, hope you enjoy it here :smile:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next