It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fellow cat owners...
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:45 pm 

Hi there guys!

I'm currently having a bit of a problem with one of my cats. I'm not sure if its attributed to the fact that I lost one of my cats recently (A VERY dominant male cat who I still miss dearly).
But this behavior did start after he passed on.

Here's the thing.

I will be lying in bed, watching tv and she'll come over and crawl all over me, then head over my pillow, over my head, bite my hair and then pull it. Why? I don't know. She'll do this if I'm awake or asleep. (of course I stop her if I am awake).

But, we're talking every hour on the hour at night! She wants me to follow her to the kitchen to watch her eat. So I stand there for a few seconds, she eats, I walk back to bed.

Rinse and repeat. It's gotten way too frequent that I now close my bedroom door at night. My second cat, however, does not like this, as she then wants to get out of my bedroom if she happens to be in here, so I let her out. Then after 30 minutes, she "meows" and claws at the door for me to open it and let her back in. I can't win. :laugh:

Has anyone experienced anything similar like this? I honestly don't know what to do anymore and its driving me nuts!

I should point out, she has food, water, a clean litterbox, I have not moved anything around or done anything differently....I took her in 5 years ago and this is now just starting. Help? :???:

FaceplaceEl Jay

Post subject: Re: Fellow cat owners...
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

I've had cats do this, but not on such a regular basis! Sounds like she's really needy. Can you wear a hat? It might break her of the habit.

Cat's can be so odd. Our current cat is prematurely senile or something, the way she looks at you, there's nothing going on behind those eyes.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:38 pm 

Haha, aww, your cat sounds sooo cute! :laugh:

My cat - yes, she's always been insanely needy, but this is a new kinda crazy needy. I might just take that hat idea and see how it works out. :laugh: I didn't get much sleep last night so I say I got up about 4 times to watch her eat. :neutral: :angry:

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:32 am 

for sure, she's very needy and abandoned 'coz her friend is gone and you are the substitute, but, shes tottally making the rules for her new situation, something you must control or she will become like spoiled child. my cat -female too- loves to sleep with me and my boyfriend, but... she likes to sleep sitting on our faces and "ronroning" in our ears lol what completely bothers me. ive taught her to sleep below, on belly or legs, just insisting on keeping her down - but my bf dosnt mind and let her sleep on his face 'til the day he will spit a ball of hair lol, but on me she does not anymore, sleeping with him or alone.

i think you should insist on her to let you alone during the night, ignore her (this will be hard for sure in the beginning) and during the day plan a new schedulle for her (games with new toys helps a lot. i used to do this to solve other problem that is her nocturnal habits. i make her tired during the day and during night she sleeps.

her life changed so you must guide her through new habits or she will do this alone and make your life a hell. you dont need to be agressive on insisting, i just repeat and repeat the procedure and my cat has learnt she cant get anything from that.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 am 

One of my cats used to wake me up around 5am to let him out of the house, but before he insisted on making me watch him eat too. This is mysterious to me. What happened is, after a few times I just threw him out so now he knows if he wakes me up in the middle of the night it's out and without a snack :)
Still happens once in a while though.

I'm curious to know if there's an explanation for cats wanting you to watch them eat???

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:04 am 

Cats are very spiritually sensitive in my personal beliefs/experiences. They are in tune to how we feel somehow on some level. Anytime I'm in any distress my cats affix themselves to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:26 pm 

Pitifuljoy wrote:
Hi there guys!

I'm currently having a bit of a problem with one of my cats. I'm not sure if its attributed to the fact that I lost one of my cats recently (A VERY dominant male cat who I still miss dearly).
But this behavior did start after he passed on.

Here's the thing.

I will be lying in bed, watching tv and she'll come over and crawl all over me, then head over my pillow, over my head, bite my hair and then pull it. Why? I don't know. She'll do this if I'm awake or asleep. (of course I stop her if I am awake).

But, we're talking every hour on the hour at night! She wants me to follow her to the kitchen to watch her eat. So I stand there for a few seconds, she eats, I walk back to bed.

Rinse and repeat. It's gotten way too frequent that I now close my bedroom door at night. My second cat, however, does not like this, as she then wants to get out of my bedroom if she happens to be in here, so I let her out. Then after 30 minutes, she "meows" and claws at the door for me to open it and let her back in. I can't win. :laugh:

Has anyone experienced anything similar like this? I honestly don't know what to do anymore and its driving me nuts!

I should point out, she has food, water, a clean litterbox, I have not moved anything around or done anything differently....I took her in 5 years ago and this is now just starting. Help? :???:

Trouble with your pussy cat? You're not Mrs. Slocombe are you?! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJlItzalJY

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:45 am 

Location: The Black Country, England, Great Britain, UK - in that order
sau wrote:

:eyeroll: FFS sau - how cheesey is that.....showing your age now :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 pm 

sau wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJlItzalJY

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL XD
i love her hahahah

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:42 pm 

@headsbullet - Do you think it matters that the cat that is currently driving me nuts absolutely did not get along with the cat that recently passed away? :laugh: I honestly don't think she misses him in the least! But, I'm sure his not being around is noticeable. I'm trying to do what you suggested by moving her out of the way and or ignoring her. For the most part, it's working. She's down to doing it at least once a night now. She still does it during the day, but I can more easily ignore her if I'm not on my bed and instead working on my computer.

cat on the wall wrote:
Cats are very spiritually sensitive in my personal beliefs/experiences. They are in tune to how we feel somehow on some level. Anytime I'm in any distress my cats affix themselves to me.

Yes, this is very true. Animals are very intuitive. <3

olivier101 wrote:
I'm curious to know if there's an explanation for cats wanting you to watch them eat???

I still don't know either! Some of them enjoy being petted while they eat, I noticed, but to just watch? What the hell?!

@Sau - LOL! Good one.

FaceplaceEl Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:30 am 

Sorry for Necromancing this thread. My family's cats to the same thing and it started about three years ago. My dunderhead cat is very very strange, but i suppose he thinks of hair as yarn. In cat thought "Oh that dangley stuff looks fun to bat around OM NOM NOM." He chews on mine or my sister's hair when it's wet after a shower because he's crazy about water. When he was a kitten I'd have my bedroom door open and he'd come and sit on my head at night (I sleep on my stomach so he's essentially smushing my face into the pillow with his butt.) I've also had two cats die in the past two years, two of the same litter that was found just a couple weeks old under an old trailer, we bottle fed them and everything. The third one in the litter who is still alive became very noticeably upset and started barbing (chewing out her hair) again. Your cat probably is just having behavior changes as a response to the stress of losing a buddy. I'm so sorry for your loss, I've always thought of pets as family.