It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:06 am 

Greg Milner discusses his book on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =105762127

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:14 am 
Site Admin

LOL, they put the microphone 3 stories up a stairwell?!? I thought it was just in a bathroom or something. I'll have to go listen to When the Levee Breaks...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:31 am 

Did you check out the most recent comment? "the hum of existence", I love it!

Interesting read sau, I'll check out the full 30 mins tomorrow.
I had heard the Bonham stairwell story before but not the bit about the mic being 3 floors up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:55 pm 

I'm currently reading Milner's book. I think I should have posted this in the Turn Up The Radio section.

Like your avatar, bluesman. Polly does look lovely.

Mark Steel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:10 pm 

sau wrote:
I'm currently reading Milner's book. I think I should have posted this in the Turn Up The Radio section.

Like your avatar, bluesman. Polly does look lovely.

Thanks, one of my favourite pics :grin:

Milners book looks interesting, think I'm going to get me a copy.
Just finished up Dan Levitin's This Is Your Brain On Music, fantastic read. Was given to me as a gift and got buried under a pile of other "must reads" lol.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:25 am 

I've heard about This Is Your Brain On Music, a friend told me it was great; good it got another great review :) She told me to read Musicophilia as well. From Amazon: "Neurologist and professor Sacks, best known for his books Awakenings and The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, dedicates his latest effort to the relationship between music and unusual brain disorders. Embracing the notion that neurology is an inherently British phenomenon, foreign to the New World, Sacks's book is read by impeccably polished actor Prebble (PW's 2006 Narrator of the Year). As befitting so urbane and smooth a reader, Prebble sounds as if his shirt had just been starched and his lab coat carefully pressed before beginning. With nary a word out of place, Prebble steps onto the stage, playing the good Dr. Sacks for this one-time-only performance. Simultaneous release with the Knopf hardcover (Reviews, Aug. 27). "

Talks about savants, synesthesia (very interesting disorder), etc. I need to read that soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:04 am 

^ another one on the list, thanks. Yeah, grab a copy of Levitins book if you have a chance. specially if you play (I think you do?) not that you have to be a musician to enjoy it but I think it's a little different read if you are. He's got a new (or more recent) one out "The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:27 am 

I do play music and will add the six songs book to my list as well! thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:34 am 
Site Admin

bluesman905 wrote:
^ another one on the list, thanks. Yeah, grab a copy of Levitins book if you have a chance. specially if you play (I think you do?) not that you have to be a musician to enjoy it but I think it's a little different read if you are. He's got a new (or more recent) one out "The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature"

:shocked: That one was given to us some months ago, I had no idea it was the same author. I'll have to open it now. :laugh: